7.19.2013

Wodehouse and Classics, yet again

From Jeeves And The Tie That Binds:
Precisely, sir. Carpe diem, the Roman poet Horace advised. The English poet Herrick expressed the same sentiment when he suggested that we should gather rosebuds while we may. Your elbow is in the butter, sir. (p.8)
"Know him?" I said. "You bet I know him. We were like...Jeeves!" "Sir?" "Who were those two fellows?" "Sir?" "Greek, if I remember correctly. Always mentioned when the subject of bosom pals comes up." "Would you be referring to Damon and Pythias, sir?" (p.18)
Florence Craye...but while it lasted I felt like one of those Ethiopian slaves Cleopatra used to push around, and I chafed more than somewhat. (p.22)
"Apparently he failed to wow the customers at the Chamber of Commerce lunch, where she had been counting on him being a regular–who was the Greek chap?" "Bertie if I wasn't afraid of waking Runkle, I'd strike you with a blunt instrument, if I had a blunt instrument. What Greek chap?" "That what I'm asking you. He chewed pebbles." "Do you mean Demosthenes?" "You may be right. I'll take it up later with Jeeves." (p.134-135)
"...A pity that Bingley is flourishing like a green what-is-it, but one can't have everything." "No, sir. Medio de fonte leporum surgit amari aliquid in ipsis floribus angat." "I don't think I quite followed you there, Jeeves." "I was quoting from the Roman poet Lucretius, sir. A rough translation would be 'From the heart of this fountain of delights wells up some bitter taste to choke them even among the flowers.'" "Who did you say wrote that?" "Lucretius, sir, 99-55 B.C." "Gloomy sort of bird." "His outlook was perhaps somewhat somber, sir." (p.203-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment